Excel is an absolutely essential tool for pay-per-click pros. I use it (along with other tools) at every stage of a pay-per-click advertising campaign: planning, researching, organizing, building, executing, measuring and reporting results. I’ve stubbed my toes more than a few times in trying to get excel to do what I want it to do, and with that in mind, I thought I would pass along some of the most helpful (basic) formulas to you. If there are formulas or other tricks that you use that you would like to share with me, I’d love to hear from you and add to this list.
- Take ALL keywords in an excel spreadsheet, and convert them to modified broad match:
- =SUBSTITUTE(“+”&A2,” “,” +”)
- Add a keyword (where a “comma” is the keyword) to any cell in Excel:
- Sort fields in excel by word count (great for keyword research, when you are working with enormous lists of keywords that need to be prioritized):
- =IF(LEN(A2)=0,0,LEN(TRIM(A2))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(A2),” “,””))+1)
- Search for matching keywords:
- =IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(“social media”,A2)),”true”,”false”)
There are plenty of other things that I do with Excel (sorting, filtering, and even using macros to do more complex tasks), but I’ve found those four formulas above to be very helpful on more than one occasion, so I thought I’d share them with you, and I hope you find them useful too.