There are generally three types of clients who need an SEO assessment: (a) people who are just setting up a brand new website and want to make sure that they’ve done it right; (b) people who have never invested a dime in SEO, and want to find and correct basic mistakes, and finally (c) big companies who suspect that they are losing lots of traffic due to poor SEO optimization.
In each case, here is what I do (depending on your needs):
- Use several third party tools (starting with Screaming Frog and Moz), and crawl each page of your website
- Setup Google Analytics, or make sure the Google Analytics tracking code is working properly on each page of your website
- Manually look at each page of website
- Identify and analyze all of your page title tags, meta tags, H1 headers, alt-tags, and other on-page SEO factors
- Track every website that is “linking” to your website
- Setup Google Webmaster Tools, and Bing Webmaster Tools
- Use the Google Keyword Tool to create a “Gap Analysis” that identifies the amount of traffic that you could get if you targeted keywords more effectively
- And finally, I talk to you about your specific goals, and your other marketing tactics, in order to make sure I understand the big picture of what brings visitors to your website
After I do all of those things, I compile the results of the assessment into a well-organized, nicely formatted document that lays out exactly what you need to do to get your website working the way you want it to.
If you want to talk about getting an SEO audit, give me a call at 202.577.3350 or email me to discuss the details of your website.