Google Panda refers to a famous update to the Google search algorithm that was announced in February 2011. This update was huge — it affected approximately 12% of all searches. Like all updates to Google’s algorithm, it was designed to weed out low quality websites and promote high quality websites.
Here are the key things to know about Panda:
- Social media websites saw an uptick in traffic
- News websites saw an uptick in traffic
- Websites with heavy advertising saw a drop in traffic
- Google PageRank was downgraded in importance
- Unlike most updates to Google’s algorithm, the Panda update will tank your entire website, and not just a specific page on the website.
If your interested in the Panda update, you might also be interested in this entry about the Google Penguin update.
For the record, the Panda update was named after its chief engineer, Navneet Panda.